The Guildford Quilters Constitution
- The name of the association is Guildford Quilters.
- The object of the Group is to share ideas and experience in quilting and patchwork sewing and to bring together those interested in these crafts by holding regular meetings, workshops and lectures.
- Membership of Guildford Quilters shall be open to all those interested in these crafts and are willing to pay the annual subscription.
- The Group shall be run by a Committee elected by the Members at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) in January. The Committee of the Guildford Quilters shall include a Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Treasurer and shall consist of not less than five members. The election of Officers shall be by closed ballot at the AGM and thereafter by annual election, except the Chair who will be elected every three years.
- The Committee may co-opt additional members to serve until the next AGM either to replace an elected member who has left the Committee or to further the aims of the Group.
- The annual subscription for the ensuing year shall be fixed by the Committee and notified to the Members at the AGM.
- A bank account in the name of the Group shall be maintained, and the Officers for the time being shall be the signatories (any two signatures on a cheque or other payment instrument shall be sufficient discharge for the Banker).
- The Secretary shall keep a register of the Members of the Group and the Treasurer shall keep proper records of the receipts and disbursements of the Group. An account of the Group’s finances shall be made up the 31st December each year and made available to the Members at the AGM.
- Charges for meetings, workshops, and lectures shall be decided upon by the Committee, who are also authorised to award discounts or bursaries to Members of those charges.
- Expenses incurred by the Committee or other members of the Group, in respect of the operational requirements of the Group, shall be recoverable by submitting a written claim to the Treasurer.
- Insurance: the Committee is responsible for ensuring that the Group is adequately insured for all its activities undertaken by the Group, whether for its Members specifically or for the general public when such is appropriate.
- In the case of Guildford Quilters deciding to discontinue as a Group, any funds which are held by the Group at the time of the closure will be distributed to a charity agreed by any remaining Members, or distributed equally to the remaining Members. This will be decided by all the remaining Members via a closed ballot vote at the time of the winding down of the Group.
- Committee members are responsible for the safe-keeping and maintenance of any of Guildford Quilters assets and relevant documents; they must hand these to the Chair at the last meeting prior to retiring from the Committee.
- Any proposal for alteration to this Constitution shall be made by giving the Chair at least three weeks notice in writing of the proposal. Such a proposal should be signed by not less than five paid up Members, when an Extraordinary General Meeting shall be called.
Revised January 2016
Discussed and agreed without amendment April 2020
Agreed 01 May 2020